Wednesday, January 15, 2014

No Wonder Peter Pan Didn't Want to Grow-Up

I've always been pretty, "grown-up." I was constantly told I was 10 going on 30, and it was something I took pride in. I was more intrigued with grown up conversations than playing house with the kids. I often put myself in adult roles that I thought I needed to fill.

Everyone is so eager to grow-up; to graduate high school, go to college, get married, and start a family. As we grow-up we look at "grown-ups" lives and they look so glamorous and we long for the day we can join the "adult club." But the truth is,


Sure, adulthood = independence, but that independence = responsibility. The thing about responsibility is, it doesn't go away. In fact, responsibility seems to increase with age. Just as we wished we could grow-up faster to gain that independence; we now wish we could rewind the clock and be a kid for just one more day, when your biggest worry was who you were going to play with at recess. 

I mean really, when did I grow-up and become an adult? And how do I make it stop? 

1 comment: